Sunday, September 16, 2007

This and That

Twenty years ago, Harold Bloom had a few opinions on what educated persons should know. Click here.

***

Sean Penn made a movie out of a book that I LOVE--I experienced this story first as a book-on-tape while driving across the country with my first husband, a man who related to the central character a little too intensely. But when/if this film comes to Mankato, I will want to see it. Anyone want to come with?

***

Then, after you read Into the Wild, you should then read Under the Banner of Heaven, another amazing book (you can read up on issues directly related to UtBoH here.)

***

Here's a good interview with Junot Diaz.

***
I love Paper Cuts, the NY Times blog about books, and I especially love Living with Music, its feature that asks writers to reveal what's on their iPod. Click here for Tom Perrotta, who's novel Little Children was far better than the film version, and the film version was pretty terrific.

No comments: